- I. Introduction
- 1. Why a Source Book?
- 2. Opportunities and Challenges
- 3. The Extractive Industries
- II. Cross-Cutting Topics
- 4. Transparency and Accountability
- III. The Extractive Industries Value Chain
- 5. Policy, Legal and Contractual Framework
- 6. Sector Organization and Institutions
- 7. Fiscal Design and Administration
- 8. Revenue Management and Distribution
- 9. Sustainable Development
Liberia is a country on the west coast of Africa, bordered by Sierra Leone to the northwest, Guinea to the north, Côte d'Ivoire to the northeast and the north Atlantic Ocean to the southwest. The country covers a total area of 111,369 km² of which 15,049 km² (13.5%) is water. It has a hot equatorial climate. The landscape is characterized by mostly flat to rolling coastal plains that contain mangroves and swamps, which rise to a rolling plateau and low mountains in the northeast. The highest point on Liberia is 1,380 meters asl at Mount Wuteve. Mount Nimba near Yekepa, is higher at 1,752 metres but is not wholly within Liberia sharing a border with Guinea and Côte d'Ivoire. The country's main northwestern boundary is traversed by the Mano River while its southeast limits are bounded by the Cavalla River. Liberia's three largest rivers all flow into the Atlantic. The history of Liberia is unique among African nations because of its relationship with the United States and being founded and colonized by freed American slaves. The country has second-largest maritime registry in the world, with some 3000 vessels registered under its flag.
Liberia forms part of the West African Craton, more specifically the segment known as the Man Terrane. The rocks forming this crystalline shield area consist of an older series of granulitic and migmatitic gneisses and amphibolites with subordinate granitoids. Remnants of slightly younger supracrustal rocks of sedimentary and volcanic origin are aligned predominantly in a NE-SW direction. Phanerozoic sediments are only exposed along a narrow coastal strip.
- Geodata for Development, A Practical Approach
- Liberia NOCAL (National Oil Company of Liberi...
- Liberia Regulations governing Exploration lic...
- Liberia Mineral Policy
- Liberia Public Procurement & Concessions ...
- Liberia & Sierra Leone, Mining Comparison...
- Liberia Mineral Laws Review (allAfrica.com)
- Liberia, Artisanal Diamonds4Development Progr...
- Liberia National Petroleum Policy 2012
- Liberia Minerals and Mining Law 2000
- Liberia EITI Act 2009
- Liberia Minerals Yearbook 2013
- Liberia Production Sharing Contract
- Liberia Petroleum Exploration & Productio...
- Liberia Artisanal Mining Regulatory Roadmap
- Liberia Landfolio Mining Cadastre
- Liberia Petroleum Law 2002