- I. Introduction
- 1. Why a Source Book?
- 2. Opportunities and Challenges
- 3. The Extractive Industries
- II. Cross-Cutting Topics
- 4. Transparency and Accountability
- III. The Extractive Industries Value Chain
- 5. Policy, Legal and Contractual Framework
- 6. Sector Organization and Institutions
- 7. Fiscal Design and Administration
- 8. Revenue Management and Distribution
- 9. Sustainable Development
Djibouti has few natural resources; salt, gypsum, diatomite and construction materials are among those and little related industry. Salt production is carried out on a semi-industrial scale at Lake Assal and Djibouti is the 10th largest producer of salt in Africa accounting for 2.8% of total output.
The country has a small, emerging, upstream petroleum sector that is focussed on exploration: for instance, please see the 2015 Oyster Oil and Gas commercial presentation regarding its exploratory activities in Djibouti and Madagascar.