Extractive Industries Initiatives Database
Search for an Initiative » Technical Assistance Mining Sector
- Technical Assistance
The Bank's mining policy is directed to the support of projects and programs aimed at identification and economic exploitation of mineral resources in the developing regional member countries, as well as extension of support to institutions in the sector, in consonance, where appropriate, with the respective economic development plans. Within this policy framework, the Bank is prepared to consider requests for project financing and/or technical cooperation financing for the mining sector.
- Regional (South America)
IDB invests in exploration and production of minerals, and provides technical assistance to host-country governments.
The IDB focuses on:
- Identifying and evaluating mineral resources;
- The development of mineral resources and their exploitation and concentration;
- Providing the necessary infrastructure for development of mining projects;
- Increasing the value added to mineral products and making their exploitation more efficient;
- Facilitating the development, transfer and absorption of technology, including use of lateral technical cooperation;
- Stimulating the development, transfer and absorption of technology, including use of lateral technical cooperation;
- Creating incentives to intra-regional cooperation in mineral resource development and fostering economic integration through multinational mining projects;
- Mobilizing financial resources for the identification and development of mining projects; and
- Strengthening the institutional capacity of the mining sector.